I enjoy helping people heal, change, and grow through difficult times. I have been in the mental health field since 1976 and became a Licensed Professional Counselor in 1984. I received my M.A. in Clinical Psychology from Stephen F. Austin State University, Nacogdoches, Texas and my B.A. in Psychology from Lincoln University, Pennsylvania.
I have held a variety of positions throughout my career in inpatient, outpatient, and community mental health settings. I worked as a psychotherapist and program director at West Oaks Hospital. I worked in a national child and adolescent private practice group several years before maintaining my own private practice for seven years. I led a team of mental health professionals at MHMRA that offered counseling services for survivors of the October 1994 Texas Flooding Disaster. I also directed a community-based program at MHMRA that provided mental health services to children ages birth through six years.
I was affiliated with Christian Counselors of Houston from October 1997 to April 2005. I currently maintain my own private practice and I am affiliated with Christian Counselors of Hedwig Village, where I work with children, adolescents, and adults. I focus primarily on troubled children and teens, parenting, family and parenting relationships, men’s issues, crisis, disaster, grief and marriage counseling. I am member of Focus on the Family’s Christian Counselors Network and the American Association of Christian Counselors.
- In the mental health field since 1976.
- Post Masters work in the mental health field since 1981.
- Licensed Professional Counselor since 1984.
- Written numerous newsletters and articles on a variety of topics 1987-94, 1998 – 2013.
- Extensive research and work with School Failure and the Father-Son Relationship.
- Extensive research and work with Men’s Issues.
- Worked extensively with high conflict families, blended families, and adopted parents and their children.
- Numerous speaking engagements, presentations, and seminars on a variety of topics.
- Created and conducted the “Youth Pastor’s Forum” a quarterly seminar and group discussion for youth pastors and church staff on topics relating to working with parents and youth. (1998-2002).
- Volunteer Training at KSBJ Christian Radio Station.
- Guest Speaker on KSBJ, KHCB, and AFR Christian Radio Stations.
- Leadership and direct experience responding to crises and disasters.
- Interviewed by Children’s Ministry Magazine for article titled The Walking Wounded 2005.
- First Book – titled A Father’s Words: How Fathers Make or Break Their Children 2008.
- Short Videos on a variety of topics posted on this website since Feb. 2010.
- You Tube Channel – Steve Rossi Christian Counselor in Houston Texas Feb. 2010.
- Board Approved Supervisor by the Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors